Oelwein High School Homecoming candidates Spencer Logan and Abigail Dahl were crowned king and queen at the pep rally on Thursday at Husky Stadium.
Her parents are Amy and Chad Dahl, and his parents are Jean and Jeremy Logan.
Last year’s royalty, Nick Dittmer and Natalie Stasi, trekked home from Ames where both are attending Iowa State University, to dub the new royalty and pass on their regalia.
It’s not often that the cameraperson marches by while the band stands still, but that’s how the Daily Register Facebook Live coverage of Oelwein’s “reverse parade” happened Thursday.
The band played the fight song and more in front of Champ, the Husky dog statue while class floats lined the edge of the senior parking lot.
Winners of the various Homecoming Week competitions, in order, were:
• Canned food drive (fell on a cohort A day): freshman won, followed by seniors, juniors and sophomores. Oelwein Area Kitchen Cupboard was planned to receive the donations.
• Window painting: juniors won, followed by seniors, freshmen, then sophomores.
• Parade float decoration: juniors won, followed by freshmen, sophomores, then seniors.
•Scream contest: seniors won, others not ranked.
•Queen candidate contest, candy rollup-eating: Abi Dahl was declared the winner.
• King candidate contest, toilet paper unrolling with one hand: Spencer Logan was declared the winner.
The rest of the Homecoming Court consisted of:
• Naomi Gaede, daughter of Jessica and Travis Michels;
• Jonathan Buehler, son of Jeannie and Jerry Buehler;
• Kennedy Lape, daughter of Bob and Renee Lape;
• Jacob King, son of Jon and Candice King;
• Gage Voshell, son of Ron and Mia Voshell;
• Cooper Smock, son of Deena and Todd Smock;
• Carsen Jeanes, son of Missy and Neil Jeanes;
• Karlie Wegner, daughter of Jackie and Dan Wegner; and
• Katelyn Rodriguez, daughter of Kimberly Rodriguez.
This year’s Homecoming sponsor was Abbi Ryan, an OHS alumna who coaches seventh grade volleyball at Oelwein Middle School when she isn’t working at Oelwein Dental Associates.