WATERLOO – Allen College awarded 128 degrees at its commencement ceremony on Friday, May 10 at Nazareth Lutheran Church in Cedar Falls.
Allen College conferred 12 Associate of Science in Radiography degrees, nine Diagnostic Medical Sonography degrees, 12 Medical Laboratory Science degrees, 42 Bachelor of Science in Nursing degrees, 48 Master of Science of Nursing degrees and five Doctor of Nursing Practice degrees.
The speaker for Allen College’s spring commencement was Dr. Jane Hasek. Dr. Hasek is the Chancellor and Distinguished Professor Emerita of Allen College and the founding chancellor of Allen College. Dr. Hasek received a diploma in Nursing from Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing in Lincoln, Nebraska; a Bachelor of Liberal Students degree from the University of Oklahoma; a Master of Science degree in higher and adult education from Drake University; a Master of Science in Nursing degree from Drake University; and a doctoral degree in higher education from the University of Northern Iowa. In addition, Dr. Hasek was granted an honorary degree, the Doctor of Humane Letters, from Allen College upon her retirement in 2005, in recognition of her many contributions to the College, to the Allen health system, to the nursing profession and to the greater Cedar Valley. Currently, Dr. Hasek serves as chair of the Iowa Board of Nursing and as chair of the Grundy County Memorial Hospital Board of Commissioners.
Allen College offers degrees in both health sciences and nursing. Approximately 620 students enrolled at the College this spring. Information on Allen College is available at www.allencollege.edu.
• James Behrens, Waverly, Associate of Science in Radiography, Summa Cum Laude
• Michael Stroud, Nashua, Associate of Science in Radiography, Cum Laude
• Reagan Decker, Denver, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Magna Cum Laude
• Jaime Frederick, Waverly, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Cum Laude
• Kaitlyn Gebel, Denver, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Courtney Gilley, Janesville, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Cum Laude
• Casey Huber, Waverly, Master of Science in Nursing
• Kelsey Masters, Nashua, Master of Science in Nursing