May 21: At 8:42 a.m., police responded to a two-vehicle accident at the intersection of West Bremer Avenue and Second Street Southwest. Dennis Joe Schneider, 66, of Waverly, was driving eastbound in a 2000 Ford Ranger and had stopped before the intersection, as traffic up ahead was stopped at First Street. He decided not to block Second Street to allow cross traffic to go through or enter Bremer Avenue. Brian Alan Gibson, 37, of Waverly, was also eastbound in a 2015 Chrysler Town & Country and was looking to the left as he was considering entering the turn lane to eventually turn left. However, when he looked forward, he saw the Ranger stopped in front of him and couldn’t stop his van in time, causing moderate damage to the truck and disabling damage to the van. Gibson was cited for following too closely. Schneider had complained of some pain and was treated on scene.
May 22: At 11:26 a.m., police took a report of a sexual assault that occurred between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on May 17 at Bremwood. A 17-year-old male juvenile was arrested on the charge.
• At 12:32 p.m., police responded to a two-vehicle accident in the 1400 block of Fourth Avenue Southwest. David Allen Deterding, 73, of Tripoli, was driving southbound in a 2001 Toyota Tundra and was preparing to turn into P&K Midwest when Jacob Thomas Epley, 24, of Waverly, didn’t slow his 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 from behind and rear-ended the truck, causing minor damage to the Suburban. The Tundra was not damaged. There were no injuries or citations.
• At 1:15 p.m., police were called to the Lied Center to take a report of a student who had brought drugs to the school An investigation led to a male juvenile being referred to Juvenile Court Services for possession of marijuana.
• At 2:07 p.m., police were called to the Lied Center to take a report of an assault that occurred the previous day. An investigation led to a male juvenile being referred to Juvenile Court Services for assault.
• At 3:20 p.m., police took a report of a burglary at GMT Corporation on East Bremer Avenue. Anthony J. Ciavarelli, 34, of Shell Rock, has been arrested in the incident.
May 23: At 9 a.m., police were called to Woodhaven shelter at Bremwood for a report of a male juvenile out of control. An investigation led to the juvenile being charged with two counts of simple assault and was taken to the North Iowa Detention Center. The case will be forwarded to Juvenile Court Services.
• At 10:11 a.m., police responded to a single-vehicle accident at Premier Car Wash. Gretchen Mae Clewell, 33, of Shell Rock, was driving a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT and had backed her SUV out of a wash bay and into a vacuum before leaving the scene. Police then matched her vehicle to the one shown on surveillance video. After contacting Clewell, she returned to the car wash to complete the accident report. The Traverse sustained minor damage, while the damage to the vacuum was estimated at $2,000. There were no injuries or citations.
• At 8:26 p.m., police took a report of theft that occurred sometime between 3 and 6 p.m. in the 1400 block of Eighth Street Southeast. The incident has no leads at this time.
May 24: At 12:25 p.m., police responded to a two-vehicle accident in the 400 block of West Bremer Avenue. Kassie Theresa Hennings, 20, of Dysart, was driving eastbound in a 2006 Ford Taurus SEL and came upon a stopped 2015 Kia Sorento, driven by Joseph Eugene Anderegg, 40, of Waverly. Hennings could not stop in time, causing a collision and minor damage to both vehicles. She was cited for following too closely. Anderegg had complained of a stiff neck, but did not request treatment.
May 25: At 11:40 a.m., police responded to an SUV-deer accident in the 3600 block of East Bremer Avenue. Raymond August Marticoff, 72, of Tripoli, was driving eastbound in a 2014 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ when a deer, coming from the south, crossed into its path. That caused a collision, resulting approximately $3,000 in damage. The deer was killed, but there were no other injuries.
• At 4:30 p.m., police took a report of a theft from a Bartels Lutheran Retirement Community resident of some money that happened between 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. May 23. The incident is under investigation.
May 26: At 4:05 p.m., police responded to a two-vehicle accident at the intersection of Fourth Street and First Avenue Southwest. Darin John Carolus, 39, of Waverly, was driving a 2006 GMC 5500 truck with flatbed and was waiting to turn left onto Fourth Street from the stop sign on First Avenue. Meanwhile, Dennis William Leary, 70, of Waverly, was driving a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan northbound. Traffic was backed up from a red light at the intersection with West Bremer Avenue. Carolus said a driver in the center turn lane, and he had signaled him to continue forward, as its driver was planning to turn left onto Bremer Avenue. However, Leary thought the motion was for him, and he proceeded between the two vehicles, which resulted in the tow truck colliding with the van, with minor damage to the truck and disabling damage to the Dodge. There were no injuries or citations.
May 28: At 8:12 a.m., police took a report of a theft from the 800 block of Ninth Street Northwest that occurred sometime between May 3 and 2:20 p.m. May 26.
• At 1:02 p.m., police were called to the Lied Education Center for a report of an assault that occurred at about 8:48 a.m. An investigation led to a male juvenile being charged with simple assault. The case will be forwarded to Juvenile Court Services.
May 18: Deputies served an arrest warrant on Brian Leland Thompson for a violation of a protective order.
May 19: At 1:30 a.m., deputies responded to a single-vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 218. Scott Joseph Smeltser, 42, of Denver, was southbound in a 2014 Honda CR-V when he lost control of the vehicle on the wet highway, causing the vehicle to rotate, strike a yield sign in the median crossover and come to rest in the east ditch, resulting in disabling damage, along with an estimated $350 in damage to the sign and post. An investigation led to Smeltser’s arrest for first-offense OWI.
May 21: At 12:24 p.m., deputies responded to a truck-deer accident on U.S. Highway 63. James Allen Peters, 64, of Tripoli, was driving a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado when it struck a deer, causing approximately $2,000 in damage.
May 23: Deputies took a report of a vehicle in the ditch in the 2100 block of Butler Avenue. An investigation led to Dylan Thor Wrage, 29, of Waverly, being charged with second-offense OWI.
May 24: At 8:05 p.m., deputies responded to a car-deer accident on U.S. Highway 218. Richard Lowell Kruger, 67, of Charles City, was driving a 1966 Plymouth when it struck a deer, causing disabling damage estimated at $3,500.
• Deputies arrested Joshua Gruber, 44, of Denver, for first-offense OWI following a traffic stop at the intersection of U.S. Highway 218 and Cedar Drive.
May 25: At 3:18 p.m., deputies responded to a two-vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 218. Both Alyssa Lynn Brass, 21, of Cedar Falls, driving a 2001 Saturn SL, and Carol Ann Matz, 76, of Waterloo, driving a 2010 Toyota Camry, were southbound, with the Saturn in the left lane and the Toyota in the right. Brass was passing Matz, when Matz entered the left lane, causing a side-swipe collision with minor damage to each car. Matz said she did not see the Saturn beside her. There were no injuries. Matz was cited for an improper lane change.
May 26: Deputies arrested Jessica Rae Kindschi, 21, of Evansdale, for first-offense OWI.
May 27: At 9:10 p.m., deputies responded to a car-deer accident in the 2400 block of Atlas Avenue. James Jefferson Hein, 54, of Janesville, was driving a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek when it struck a deer, causing approximately $3,000 in damage.
May 30: Deputies arrested Sabrina Annastacia Tenge, 39, of West Union, for first-offense OWI, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
May 24: At 9:43 a.m., deputies conducted a search for stolen property in the 33600 block of Beaver Valley Street to assist Jasper County deputies. The target items were not found.
• At 6:10 p.m., deputies conducted a traffic stop in the 700 block of North Public Road in Shell Rock. An investigation led to the arrest of Brandon Michael Mishler, 20, of Clarksville, for third-offense possession of a controlled substance, third-offense possession of cannabidiol and unlawful possession of a prescription drug. He was held on a $19,500 cash-only bond in the defendant’s name only, and he was awaiting a court appearance.
May 25: At 8:02 p.m., deputies took a report of a theft in the 17600 block of Birch Avenue in Aredale. Cylinders and hoses were stolen off of a ladder tractor along with a new set of tires and rims. The value was unknown.
May 26: At 3 p.m., deputies responded to a hit-and-run accident at the railroad shack at Flint Hills Resources. An white Chevrolet extended cab pickup with a lift kit and two kayaks in the bed backed into a company Jeep and fled the scene.
• At 10:39 p.m., deputies took a report of a burglary in the 300 block of Fourth Street in Parkersburg. It appeared that someone tried to enter the reporting party’s apartment but did not gain entry.
May 27: At 11:37 p.m., deputies took a report of burglary at a car wash in the 200 block of West Traer Street in Greene. The back door was pried open with approximately $225 to $250 in quarters stolen as well as a Dewalt tool set.